Friday, April 9, 2010

Finishing things.......


I have had a great week trying to finish mountains of projects that have been 'work in progress' for ages - they somehow just keep accumulating on my desk so I decided it was time to make a significant impact on half done pieces. As I was running out of space to fit in anything new, I decided my desk must be at least 'almost' cleared before starting anything new - and I'm still dying to try cuttlefish casting so that has been a great motivator - 'temporarily delayed' in the interest of creating some space!!


I am so glad I did! I persevered, I slogged and I slaved...... even
denied myself sitting in the sun at lunch (hey, we had some sun!) to rush back to the workshop....

The result - I have finished about 20 pieces, including a whole bundle I am shipping to friend Terry in Laughlintown PA (USA) on Monday. And I think there are some gems in the output, so I am really happy.

I think I have always worked better under pressure, but I now understand how much harder it is to pressure oneself! Easy when someone else is setting the agenda and breathing down one's neck, much harder when one must be self reliant.

An interesting change for me, and I take my hat off to all those, especially friends and family, who have been doing it successfully this way for years! Fortunately I have a generous dose of 'wasp' work ethic, but in thinking about some of those motivational seminars from various workplaces I recognise my need to balance process with outcomes - and don't seem to ever it get it exactly right!



So, today is about outcomes - and a couple of photos to show newly finished earrings. More will be on my facebook page and in my etsy shop soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment